Looking for free, low-cost, or unique outing ideas that you can only experience this month? Look no further! September’s events include the perfect blend of creativity and fun that only LA can deliver.
Tuesday, 9/5 – Grand Park boot camp: Are you and your Little looking to get into shape? Check out this free opportunity to exercise in the city.
Wednesday, 9/6 –
- Full moon hike: Community Nature Connection hosts a 2.8 mi roundtrip hike around Franklin Canyon.
- Free movie night: Horse Thief BBQ hosts a showing of Back to the Future at 8 pm.
Thursday, 9/7 –
- San Pedro Art Walk: attend an artist opening reception, or watch an artist at work during this free evening event around San Pedro’s art galleries.
- Mar Vista Art Walk: enjoy the company of live painters, storytellers, musicians, and poets during this free quarterly event.
- Mexican folk dance lesson: is your Little a budding performer? Learn the musical and dance styling of Veracruz at the Old Town Newhall Library.
Friday, 9/8 – Free movie night: bring blankets and snacks for this family-friendly nature-themed movie at the Ballona Discovery Park.
Saturday, 9/9 –
- Tiny Porch Concert: experience original music in a rustic setting for free!
- Campfire in the park: Community Nature Connection hosts an evening of family fun, complete with songs, skits, and bonfire-food-roasting.
Sunday, 9/10 –
- 826LA@Hammer: try your hand at some creative comedy writing with TV writer Julia Prescott during this free workshop at the Hammer museum (RSVP).
- Latino Book & Family Festival: celebrate Latino storytelling for a full day of exhibits and workshops at La Plaza de Cultures y Artes.
Friday, 9/15 – LA Anime Film Festival: this 3 day festival (through 9/17) includes 20 anime film screenings and Q&A sessions with directors and voice actors.
Saturday, 9/16 –
- Glendale Open Arts & Music Festival: check out this free, music-driven event in Glendale, complete with art workshops throughout the day!
- Tarfest: the La Brea Tar Pits is holding a one-of-a-kind music festival, along with activities for kids, like percussion and breakdancing workshops.
- Coastal cleanup day: enjoy the great outdoors while giving back with your Little at the Ballona Wetlands.
Sunday, 9/17 – Free museum day: Pacific Standard Time brings free entry to 52 museums across SoCal.
Saturday, 9/23 –
- Museum Day Live: Smithsonian magazine brings you even more free museums throughout the country!
- Surf City Surf Dog: who can say no to dogs and surfing? Huntington Beach brings you a chance to check out these athletic pups during this free event (RSVP).
- Green Festival Expo: is your Little passionate about sustainability? Learn more about green practices and organizations on Saturday or Sunday.
- Dino Fest: the Natural History Museum shines a spotlight on our favorite prehistoric creatures through exhibits and hands-on activities.
Sunday, 9/24 –
- Tour of Radical Women Exhibit at the Hammer: guest curators lead a walk-through of the newest exhibit at the Hammer, Radical Women.
- Abbot Kinney Festival: the “coolest block in America” brings you fun, food, and entertainment, including kids rides and games.
Saturday, 9/30 – Watts Towers Day of the Drum Festival: this 36th annual event will infuse your day with African dance and rhythmic drumming. The jazz festival follows the next day!
The LA County Fair is running 9/1 – 9/24 at the Pomona Fairplex, and prices are lower for kids and adults on weekdays.